Week 14: Blue Topaz



                                                  Image Details: Blue diamond, Source: Pixabay

It was five years after Dev broke up with me. I remember the day very well. It was our third anniversary and I remembering being so excited. Dev called me late last night and told me that he wanted to meet me the next day to tell me something important. I immediately thought that he was going to propose to me. We were the perfect couple. We respected and loved each other. We loved the same kinds of movies, laughed at the same type of jokes, and could even finish each other’s sentences. All of our friends branded us as the married couple of the group. And me- I loved him so much. I didn’t know a life apart for me. This is why what happened next tore me apart.

I got to the park thirty minutes early. I wanted to soak in every moment. I remember the cascading sunlight grazing upon my skin as well as the cool breeze that sent chills down my spine. This was where we met the first time. I was a surgical resident and it was my first time that I lost a patient. I came to the park to relax me a little bit and that’s when I met Dev. I was drinking my three espresso shot Starbucks coffee and eating my sugar cookie. For some reason I thought that coffee and carbs would distract from the grueling 15 hours that I was in surgery. Out of nowhere, a huge Labrador retriever crashes into me and began licking and sniffing me. I couldn’t, but laughing and petting the dog.

“I’m so sorry!” I looked up and saw a young man wearing a fitted t-shirt and baggy short came running up to me. “I’m really sorry. Oliver doesn’t seem to know not to trample people.” I laughed at his comment, but was unable to stop looking at him. He had dark tan skin with thick black hair. When I noticed that he was looking back at me intently, I averted my gaze from his.

“Are you alright?” I nodded my head. “Yeah, I’m fine.” He extended his hand towards mine and I gingerly grabbed it as he hoisted me up. “Thank you,” I said. He shook his head. “I should be telling you that. Olive seems to like you. He can’t seem to get enough of you.” I looked down and saw Oliver snuggled right against my feet. “Well believe me when I say that I don’t mind. I really needed this today.” The man still looked intently at me. “I’m Dev.” He extended his hand and I shook it. “I’m Parvati, Paro.” Still holding my hand, he said. “Well Paro, would you like to have a cup of coffee with me?” I turned around and saw my untouched cup of coffee on the corner of the bench I was sitting. I turned back around and nodded my head. “Sure! I could really use a cup right now.”

“Paro!” I turned around and saw Dev walking towards me. I rushed towards him and he took me in his arms. “I missed you,” I said as I rested in his arms. Dev was at a business conference for the past two weeks. “I know. I missed you too,” he said as he stroked my hair. However, I knew that something was wrong. He seemed more distant for me as if he was holding something back.  I looked up at him. “Is everything okay?” He nodded his head and we walked towards the benches. “I’m just tired. The past two weeks have been grueling.” I nodded me head. “I can imagine.” I took a deep breath. “Dev, you said that there was something that you wanted to tell me. What is it?”

Dev turned to face me and held my hand in his. “Paro, I think it’s time that I tell you this. I have been feeling this way for some time and I believe that it is time for you to know.” I sucked in my breath and waited for what he was going to say next. “Paro, I think we need to break up.” I felt my heart drop. I slowly removed my hands from his and stared and the pond next to us. I could feel tears brimming at the edge of my eyelids, but I refused to let them drop. No Paro. Don’t let his see you cry.

I closed my eyes to conceal my tears and cleared my throat. “How long have you felt this way?” I could hear him take a deep breath. “I’ve been feeling this way for some time. But Paro, you must have known that this was going to end at some point. We aren’t right for each other.” I shook my head, careful to make sure that he didn’t see how hurt I was. “No Dev, I didn’t see that at all. I believed that you were the one. God, I even thought that you were going to…” My voice cracked and I refused to finish my sentence. Dev tried to put his hand on my shoulder, but I shied away from it. “Just go, Dev.” He looked hurt, but I didn’t want to look at him anymore. “Please Dev, leave me alone.”

I could see a tear fall from his cheek as he got up and walked away from me. As soon as I saw him leave, I broke down and sobbed till I couldn’t anymore. I felt as if someone ripped my heart out. I pulled on the blue topaz necklace that was dangling around my neck. It was Dev’s mothers and he gave in to me. I wanted to yank in out and throw it into the pond, but I was unable to do it. I clutched the necklace to my chest and fell on the ground. As tears rolled down my cheek, I made a vow to myself. I could never forgive him for this, never.

Author’s Note: My story is inspired by the story of Uloopi, who was a princess that fell in love with Arjuna. She falls madly in love with Arjuna, but Arjuna leaves her to marry another woman. Later on in the story, Uloopi saves Arjuna by reincarnating him with a crystal. In my story, I wanted to show the love the main character had for Dev. Furthermore, I wanted to show how devastated she was when her boyfriend broke up with her. I thought that Uloopi must have felt this way when Arjuna left her.

Bibliography: Amar Chitra Katha, "Uloopi: The naga princess who fell in love with Arjuna." Volume 629.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction of a Future Psychologist

Week Story 5: Sita's exile

Comment Wall